Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Connecting the Dots

Steve Jobs, being the CEO of Apple Computer, has been somewhat of a mentor to me in more ways than one even though we have never met. I thought I might talk about his graduation speech and advice that he provides the students of Stanford as they head out into the real world as I ended my last post with his closing statement. He splits this advice into three parts that I think are applicable to any person who feels lost and looking to find answers. The first story he tells is about connecting the dots.

Everything you do has a purpose. Within Steve's life story it involves him realizing that the courses he took as a college dropout, the lowest point in his life, were in some ways the most significant as they are what made the Macintosh, the manifestation of his persona in machine form, unique.

He is not claiming to be a visionary, although by my standards he certainly is, but merely suggesting that all the dots, or seemingly meaningless moments and nuances of life, come together and eventually make sense. This is something extremely important for college graduates to remember as we sometimes fail to see a meaning behind the madness in a shortsighted world.

If you have been left behind in the rat race for sexy and appealing highly lucrative jobs it makes no difference. In fact, even if you graduate with no job, or fail to graduate at all, it simply builds character and adds to the moments in your life when you will have been transformed and able to apply what you have learned in the future. It will work out for the best in the end and I am a firm believer that this may show you an alternate path to success that is perhaps shorter or more scenic than you might have imagined.

Whether or not you believe in fate or destiny, you should never think that a door has closed when in reality a thousand may have opened. Take these times that involve difficult decisions to relax, think about what makes you happy, and go with it. A lot of the time, you’ll be happy you did. When you connect the dots looking back, it will all make sense. Even though it may seem that you took the road less traveled, eventually it will make all the difference.

6 Comments:

At 10/11/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog is boring as hell

 
At 10/11/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very inspirational, I am going through a difficult period right now academically, your blog gave me hope. Thanks.

 
At 12/11/06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome!! Keep up the great work. I wish I could be like you!

prol

 
At 13/1/10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I assume precise post. Especially the designation attracted me to review the sound story.

 
At 17/1/10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

 
At 4/6/10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home